Saturday, June 12, 2010

Muir Woods and the Golden Gate Bridge

Wow, today was so fun!  Our program took a trip to Muir Woods in Marin County, which is a national monument and old growth redwood forest.  The trees were definitely impressive, but in the beginning of the park the trails are paved and flat and I felt a little bored.  Luckily, we encountered a fork in the trail, with one trail going up the mountain leading to a view of the ocean.  I encouraged everyone to head that way, and it was well worth it.  We hiked uphill for about two hours on a steep and narrow trail, passing huge redwoods along the way.  When we got high enough, the trees disappeared and we could see the Pacific Ocean from afar.

The way back down the mountain was really fun, as well, and a lot easier.  I went ahead with another person from my group and we basically ran down the mountain, stopping to look at creeks and climb on fallen trees.  Muir Woods was so amazing and I would take anyone there.  I didn’t think that I would like hiking so much but I really loved it and I’m fortunate I had the opportunity to do so!  The only bad part was that the roads to get to Muir Woods were very curvy and high up with no guardrails, and our bus driver was driving like a mad man...

Afterwards, we drove over the Golden Gate Bridge and then stopped at a look out area overlooking the Bay, San Francisco, and the bridge.  It was sooo amazing and I can’t wait to walk across the bridge, which I might do tomorrow or sometime soon.  Here are some pictures from my day!

Huge redwood trees


Size comparison

On our hike


So pretty!

Out of the forest

A view of the woods and the Pacific 

We climbed on top of a rock to get a better view

Standing on the rock, trying not to fall off


View of the city from the bridge

All of San Francisco

Sailboats on the Bay

The beautiful Golden Gate Bridge

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You got to see the Redwoods! I have always wanted to do that! We are going to have soo much to talk about when we get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t wait!! We can chat in your new apartment!

    ReplyDelete